During the early 1930s, Archie D. Headen was serving under the pastorate of the late Elder Booker in Steubenville, Ohio. It was there he accepted the great plan of salvation, and received the baptism of the Holy Ghost. In 1935, he was called and commissioned by God to go into all the world and preach the Gospel. At that time, he was residing in Stirrat, West Virginia and employed as a coal miner. In August of 1938, the young Elder Headen moved from West Virginia seeking greener pastures. He finally settled in Washington, D.C. and joined with the late Elder Cannon of the Church of God in Christ. In September 1939, Elder Headen was directed by God to take a streetcar to a heavily wooded section of northeast, known as Deanwood. Upon arriving in Deanwood, still being led of God as to what actions to take, he inquired of a woman passing by about a place to start a church. Initially, she balked at the request, but did inform Elder Headen about an available property on Lane Place, NE. So in mid-September 1939, Pastor Headen opened the doors of Mt. Pisgah Church of God in Christ. For one entire year, Elder Headen worshiped alone – his prayer was, “Lord, send on.”
The Lord answered and many souls were added to the church. After God gave one of the members, Sister Cora Cash, a dream of the church as a filling station and a place of refreshing, Elder Headen was led to change the name of the church to “Refreshing Spring.” He was directed by God to build the first permanent church structure in the Washington, D.C. Jurisdiction, at 4407 Lee Street, NE. The anointing and power of God at work in the ministry soon became known all over the city. Many people came from far and near, from other churches, the young and old – all to get a spiritual drink from the “Refreshing Spring.” The membership outgrew the Deanwood church’s capacity and moved to a second location at 532 Eighth Street, NE, also called the “Upper Room.” Here, a weekly, Sunday afternoon radio broadcast was started, with the theme “Looking Up to Jesus.” Signs and wonders were common in the church, the sick were healed, the dead were raised, and the lost were saved. Soon, the church outgrew the Upper Room. The third place of worship was 1350 Maryland Avenue, NE, in the heart of Capitol Hill. Many looked forward to the radio broadcast, Elder Headen’s powerful preaching and the Refreshing Spring choirs. Saints from other churches would come from their services to Refreshing Spring, just to sit in on the broadcast. Elder Headen considered plans to expand at Maryland Avenue, but the Lord spoke to him and said, “this is not your rest.”
In 1976, Refreshing Spring moved to a fourth location at 6200 Riverdale Road in Riverdale, Maryland. Initially, it was unknown to the Refreshing Spring family at large that a new church home in Maryland had been secured. The Pastor called a special business meeting. At the conclusion of the meeting, the saints were taken to a church in Riverdale. The saints thought that they were there to worship with another congregation, but were informed that “this is now your church.” Most of the members resided in the District; Maryland was unfamiliar territory. The community then was not very diverse and an all African-American congregation moving into a state-of -the-art edifice in Riverdale was big news. Once again Refreshing Spring made the local news and history. Moving into the former Riverdale Baptist Church, Refreshing Spring became the largest African-American Pentecostal church in the region. Over the years, Refreshing Spring continued to do God’s work and impact the community; establishing a bus ministry, clothing closet, homeless outreach and a special ministry to the local Vietnamese community.
Even as a young child, James Jordan, Jr. always had a special attachment to Pastor Headen; he would plead with his parents to go home with Pastor Headen every Sunday. Later as an adult Minister and Elder he served Elder Headen faithfully. He was even given an opportunity to become the Pastor of a Church in West Virginia, which he took with permission from Elder Headen. When the Pastor of the church in West Virginia recovered from his illness and decided to resume his role as Pastor, Elder Jordan returned home. Pastor Headen let him know that it was Elder Jordan’s decision to leave and not his. Following his return to the Refreshing Spring Church of God in Christ, Pastor Headen appointed Elder Jordan as the Assistant Pastor. In 1995, Founding Pastor Archie D. Headen went home to be with the Lord and Assistant Pastor James E. Jordan, Jr. was appointed Pastor. From that time forward, the mission of his ministry is to establish a desire in the hearts of men and women for the Word of God as the foundation for personal salvation and discipleship. Pastor Jordan is committed to equipping the saints for the work of the ministry focused on the Whole Man – spirit, soul, and body.
This vision is fulfilled through the development of our satellite ministries serving Branchwood Towers, Owings Mill – Heart Spring Ministries, and Spellman House; and two associated ministries, Praise and Fellowship Church of God in Christ and Agape Buchanan-Featherstone Memorial Tabernacle Church of God in Christ. The church has prison and homeless ministries and has created a Community Development Corporation called Sowing Empowerment & Economic Development Inc., (SEED). The CDC consists of a local Food Pantry, which partners with government and independent agencies, as well as a clothing closet. All programs function to extend the Kingdom of God by working to aid in freeing people from all that binds them. Refreshing Spring also serves the community through the Refreshing Spring Bible Institute, the SEED Learning Academy (SLA) and Neighborhood Tutoring & Technology Program; and a summer youth camp and annual health and career fairs. The Spring sponsors a four year College Scholarship Program, “Blessing for the Children”. Since the institution of this program we have one recipient graduate and four recipient students currently enrolled. The Helen Jo-An King Scholarship Fund provides a one time monetary gift to every high school graduate annually. Refreshing Spring owns and operates the Refreshing Spring Office Building, which houses many ministries of the church in addition to local businesses.
Pastor Jordan serves as the Administrative Assistant for Budget and Finance for the Greater Maryland First Jurisdiction under the leadership of Bishop Joel H. Lyles; Chairman of the Board of the S.E.E.D. Community Development Corporation, and oversees the development of the Refreshing Spring Family Life Center. He serves on the executive board of the Collective Banking Group of Prince George’s County and the Riverdale Ministerial Alliance. In addition, Refreshing Spring has initiated a Ministerial Certification Program for Ministers and Elders.
Pastor Jordan lives by Proverbs 3:5-6: “Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge Him and He shall direct they paths.”